Sweet Happy News
Festive Holiday Yule Log Cake Recipe
A Yule Log, also known as a 'Bûche de Noël', is a popular holiday dessert. It is traditionally eaten in France and Belgium and is made out of a sponge cake roll layered with cream.
In French, bûche means log and noel means Christmas. Keep the home fires burning with this traditional holiday dessert with a supercute Sanrio spin!
- 2 premade sponge roll cakes
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Candy craft chocolate pen
- Fruit, nuts, and any extra holiday decorations that you’d like to add
- Sanrio Character Decorations (Click here to download)
1. To make the frosting for the cake, place the chocolate chips a bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes until the chips melt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream and sugar with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes to make whipped cream. Don’t whip the mixture too hard; a creamy consistency is best!
3. Slowly add the whipped cream to the melted chocolate a little at a time and mix until peaks start to form. But be careful, the ingredients can separate if you over mix!
4. To make the log, connect the two premade sponge cake rolls to create the base of the log. The length of the cake should be about 8 inches, so cut off the excess from the second roll and save it for the stump.
5. For the stump, cut about an inch off of the roll that you just reserved. By the way, the rest of the roll will not be needed and can be eaten!
6. Trim off about half of the outer part of the roll that you just cut for your stump and place it top of the log that you created in step 4.
7. Using a small spatula, ice the log and the stump with the chocolate frosting from step 3. Don’t be a Scrooge; be generous with your frosting!
8. Create the wood grain texture in the frosting by dragging fork tines through the frosting.
9. Now it’s time to finish decorating your Yule Log! Dust the top of the log and stump with cocoa. Next, use your chocolate pen to trace the swirl on the top of the stump and on the ends of the log. Add nuts and fruits around the cake (if you’d like) and add cutouts of your favorite Sanrio friends!
Ta-da! This yummy recipe is an easy way to create a show-stopping treat for the holidays. You can usually find premade sponge cake rolls at specialty bakeries, or you could even make your own. Yum!!!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to write a comment. Sign In